Saturday, October 2, 2010

Tick Tock on the Clock (No, this has nothing to do with Ke$ha)

Today I am going to write a blog post through most of my 6 hours of work, we'll see where that takes us, it'll be a hoot!!

Today's topic is...
(not the fact that I'm being stupid and eating my lunch 26 minutes into a 6 hour shift)
But what it really i... is clocks.

(Hey look, according the the copyright initials, I drew that!)


11:27am
There's an Ithaca College London Center clock that sits on my desk. It was clearly made in the 90's, it's style is a dead give-away; chunky but streamline, trying to look a little modern, all black with gold paint around the clock. I've played with it some before at work, spinning it around (because the clock sits on its chunky stand held by two little nubs), also seeing if you can easily lift it off the stand (you can't). But it wasn't until today that I noticed the most important thing about this clock...
It doesn't work. For this ICLC clock, it will forever 1 second to 11:23 (pm or am, no one knows).
And I suppose it may not be that time forever, cause you never know, I might feel devious and change the time, or add a battery!
ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!

12:01pm
I really don't like how loud the clock on the wall of this office is.

12:27pm (according to the computers)
I just discovered that most of these clocks don't agree. The phone says it's 12:50, the wall clock says it's 12:49 and (obviously) both computers, desktop and laptop, say 12:47.
Note: I had to subtract a minute from all those times because they changed as I typed...

1:41pm (also know as 13:14)
Let's talk army time.
I've been having issues with it. Which is really annoying because I didn't have that big of a problem with it when I was in England 7 years ago, but now that I'm 20 it seems my mind refuses to figure it out. I mean, sometimes I'm pretty darn good at it, because I know that you just need to subtract 12 (but really you just need to subtract 2) but I swear, sometimes when I look at a digital clock and it's in army time, as most in this country are unless fiddled with by an American, my mind shuts down and just will not figure it out. It's quite the problem and I very strongly dislike it (the issue of army time, not so much army time).

2:13pm
Lately I've noticed a faint ticking in our bedroom. I thought it was maybe just dripping out in the courtyard, because that happens a lot, and also I knew there were no clocks in our room so usually I could ignore it and it would seem to go away. But last night when I heard it I remembered that our water heater/furnace thingy that's in our room has a clock on it and realized, to my complete and utter horror that the ticking was a clock. After realizing this the ticking got louder and more pronounced. I was very upset. I hate clocks and the way they tick.
I like the way they look though. I wish there were more pretty clocks that just didn't tick. Now that would be a perfect world.

2:20pm
I saw the oldest clock in the world last weekend.
It didn't seem that old.

2:50pm
The loud, constant ticking of this clock is a reminder of the endlessness that is this work shift.
The only person who's come in here today so far was Bill.
Clocks are evil.

2:55pm
This is completely un-clock related, but I just need to say that House makes everything better.

3:15pm
I have decided that I have no more left to say about clocks. So... I am going to (wait for it) CLOCK out!!

I'm so funny.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's genetic, that sense of humor, because I'm chuckling away with delight at your post. At the moment the kitchen clock at your grandparents' house is ticking off your grandpa's sleeping breaths, your uncle's light snores, the refrigerator's relentless rattle, and the minutes until we head out to the canoe. You would not be able to sleep in range of this tapping clock.

    ReplyDelete