Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Power Lost (To a Moroccan Girl)

I spent this last weekend in the beautiful country of Morocco, and I had a wonderful time.
I ate amazing food, bought beautiful things at amazing prices and saw the wonderful Julia Gibas who I have been having sleepovers with for 21 years.
And though there were many experiences to talk about in Morocco, the most important story is how I was bested by an 8 year old Moroccan girl.


Her name, was (and still is) Selma.
Selma doesn't speak English, she speaks French and Arabic.
I don't speak Arabic and quickly realized that I no longer speak French either.
Saturday morning, right after breakfast, Julia left me for 5 hours... and Selma took over.
My hand was taken by her tiny one and my power was lost forever.

About an hour and a half was spent spinning her around, having her run into my arms, jumping with her, carrying her around and kicking and sweeping a soccer ball, exhausting stuff, let me tell you!

Finally we retired to the TV room, where she had me dictate her French so she could grade me...
I received an 8/10, much to my surprise (seeing as I didn't even understand half of what she said, and the rest I did not remember how to spell). She then made me memorize the names of her family by looking at a photo album, and when I failed (as I of course did because I am terrible with names) she yelled the names at me, quite fun. Then we drew pictues of me, Julia and her.
Then she drew in my tattoo.


It's blurry, I know, but it's a picture of a little girl and a sun.
After we had lunch she dragged me back to the TV room, said a lot of random things to me that I didn't understand and eventually somehow tricked me into giving her a massage?
I have no idea how that happened, that's the power of 8 year old Moroccan girls I suppose.

Frankly, it was all quite stressful (though at times fun).
But thankfully I somehow managed to get a fair amount of Irish Lit reading done, and somehow snuck in an hour long nap (mostly due to the fact that Julia was 2 hours late getting back)

What's important though is the lesson you should have learned from this blog post.
LEARN FRENCH!
Or else a small Moroccan girl will control 4 hours of your life.

Goodbye from all three of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment